Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sights and smells of the market, Santo’s Tio and his pepetos and Mariachi Band while doing laundry

I think that the market here is one of my favourite things. I thought I would share it with you for some fun light reading and then fill you in on what we have been up to.
Everyday we walk the kids to school and the fastest route is through the market. The people that work down this street like to make comments about the children dressed up in their uniforms. The kids like to keep their heads down and walk, but I encourage them to look up and say ‘hola’ since the comments are usually “Que linda, or que precisoso or bien gringitos.(How cute, How Precious or Nice little gringos) To which I always reply no gringos, somos Canadienses!!!” I need to make sure that they know. And they usually laugh. There is a lady at the end of the street that sells flowers and every morning it is our routine to say Buenos Dias every time we see her. She has no teeth and with the biggest smile you have ever seen she replies “Buenos Dias” right back.

Then on my way home from dropping off the kids I head right to the bread lady. There are only two ladies (that we have found so far) that sell these magnificant soft and delicious, usually still hot buns. If you don't get there by 8:15 at the latest, you miss out! Then I head towards an abundance of vegetables. There are so many fresh, inexpensive fruits and vegetables that it is almost impossible to choose. I often come back with way too many things!
Next the weird smells begin to accumulate and it's off to buy cheese and chicken. If you would have asked me before we came here if I ever would have bought chicken in the market before, I for sure would have said no!! But the chicken is fresh and delicious and we are healthy as can be!


My favorite is the cheese ladies. They sell cheese for pupusa's, and for eating solo, and the best crema around! They always let us sample their goods and make sure we know that they are getting the best they have to offer.



Anything you want you can find here in the market, if you go deep enough. From pharmacies, to grain sellers to clothes venders, dvds, drinks, feminine products, and even the molino. When Jaunita first told us that she had to take our frijoles (red kidney beans) to the molino, I had no idea what she was talking about. She said she only need $.25. And I could not for the life of me figure out what she talking about, when finally I said I would go with her. Turns out that everyone here takes their frijoles and maiz to the molino to grind for making papusas and tamales! I had to explain to Jaunita that we don't have a local molino in Canada!!

So there is a mini pictoral telling of my experience with the "Mercado" here. It is so amazing to be able to buy locally and go to the market everyday if needed. I guess you will have to come visit if you want to experience it for yourself.



Next... How are things going with what we set out to accomplish here?
I am reading a book called, When Helping Hurts; How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor and Yourself. I often contemplate this idea. What can we do here in the time we are here that will have lasting effects without creating more problems when we leave? This is a toughy!! Everyday in San Antonio I see need. Need that hurts my heart! I do know however that while I can hand out food one day, the next day they will have empty tummies again. Today I read in this book a quote from a founder of a successful ministry in inner-city getto in Maryland. "We decided to relocate to an inner-city neighborhood- not to change it or save it, but to be neighbors... We held tightly to the commitment of God's Shalom for Sandtown, but we had no plans or programs. Instead of imposing our own agendas, we sought to place our lives in service to the community... For over two years we weren't working to renovate houses, we were out and around in the community, "hanging out." During this time the foundational relationships were formed... Everything revolved around building community together...."
This is a profound thought for me, but kind of what we have been striving to do as well. At first, I was feeling a little like we were letting people down because we weren't getting our "projects" going as quickly as I would have originally liked. But now I feel at peace and that we are here doing what we are meant to in God's eyes and hopefully going about it the right way.






A couple of days ago we spent the afternoon in San Antonio and just hung out at Santo's uncle's place, while Stuart and Trent did repairs on some of the previously built houses, Santo pulled out the only chairs they had for Kerrie and I to sit on. The kids right away got busy fitting in. And by this I mean getting as dirty as possible, and chasing around the numerous pigs, chickens, goats and dogs.

 It always amazes me how the people that have so little always give so much. They brought out this fruit called Pepetos (I think) that Santo's Tio had to walk for 1hr each way to get, to share with us. At first I have to admit I was a little unsure... You open it up and eat the fruit around the large seeds in the middle. Then you spit out the seeds. (The whole thing just looks like a weird bug to me.) Well, Violet took a liking to this fruit and couldn't get enough! Only one problem though, she didn't want to spit out the seeds. Tio assured me that they weren't bad for you or anything, they were just really bitter. Apparently Violet has no taste buds... After she ate about 3 whole pepetos, I decided it was probably enough since it was a new food, and Violet sure enough found her way to every single person eating them and managed to get more. All in total she ate about 15 pepetos. I was the only one who payed the next day having to change her diapers, but she was fine and the people there loved trying to get her to come to them using pepetos as bait!!
 While we visit we have also been given; mangoes of all kinds, avacados, tamales, crema and huge smiles everytime we come. It really teaches me a lesson and humbles me to the core.

Another thing we did today was take 3 women and their children to do their laundry in the Apastepeque Lake. Usually they have to pay to take a bus there and back which costs a dollar each way. Considering the average wage for a day is $6, that is a fortune! Not to mention soap and bleach. This turned out to be the best day I have had here so far. We spent the entire day swimming, helping the ladies with their laundry, listening to a Mariachi band and eating freshly caught Talapia and rice. We came home burnt like crazy, but it was so worth it and exactly what I call living in community.

Click on the link below to see the Video.....





 
 
 
























These are women who have major stories to tell, I will just share with you a little about one lady named Esmerelda. She is 19 years old and lives and cares for her 4 brothers ages 17,15,13 and 5, she also has a husband and a 2 year old son. Two years ago her step father died from diabetes, and then her Mom had a firework go off in her face and one side of her body was completely burned. Last year on April 20th her Mom was brutaly murdered 4 blocks from their house by her exhusband in a fit of jealousy. Now Esmarelda is left to care for the rest of her family. She is the sweetest girl you will ever meet and is doing an amazing job at raising her family, but our heart breaks for her and all the other sad stories that we hear everyday. All I ask is that I can continue to befriend her and give her a hand in any way possible. Today we only did half her laundry, I asked why she didn't bring the rest and she said that there was too much. Usually it takes her 5 hours just to do half. I told her next time to bring it all and Kerrie and I would help.

Anyway, I am sure that this is long enough and I will stop here. Next up a passover celebration at our house in Spanish, English and Hebrew. (Hopefully I can find Matzoh or I will be making it!) and a visit from my brother Daniel, Teresa and Nephew Seth.
Carie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for everything you guys are doing down there. I think of the Berstads and McAllisters often during the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil it means a lot to us.

    ReplyDelete