Monday, February 21, 2011

Scrabble Anyone???



A week left until we head to El Salvador. Then it seems as if we will have to start all over again. We still don’t have a place to move into, so we will likely be staying in the hotel there for a couple of days or maybe a week. I can’t help but wonder how the kids will readjust because it seems like they are just starting to “normal out” here.

I keep praying though. I pray that I will hear God’s voice and not just my own (or my children’s). I know he tells us not to worry about tomorrow, but the mother in me has a hard time with that. The kids have done really well with school and it would be nice to get them into school in El Salvador ASAP to get them right into the swing of things language wise. I am really enjoying my lessons. Yesterday we spent our whole lesson playing Spanish Scrabble. My teacher had never played before and I had borrowed it from Ana Louisa who lives at the house we are staying at. First we played in teams against Kade and his teacher, Soledad and Winnie’s teacher Jessica. I came in last. Then I said to my teacher that after the break we should do some work. We did one exercise on Preterite and Imperfect past tense verbs and then she asked me if I wanted to play again! I think she liked it!! We are going to go today(Saturday) and check out if I can find Scrabble to give her as a gift at the end of next week. (Update.. it seems as though there are none in Antigua)


On Sunday we went to the hill of the cross and climbed up it. It was magnificent and an awe inspiring view of Antigua.

Stuart has been having conversations with his teacher about Christianity and using the bible to explain why we are here. His teacher Yoli has been asking some hard questions that would be hard to answer even in English! He has also been having conversations with another teacher at the school whose daughter is a single mom of 3 children and has no place to live. They have been praying for years for a home for her. Finally a piece of land has become available to purchase at a decent price, but if they buy the land they can’t afford to put a house on it. We kept talking about trying to give something meaningful as a parting gift, and this seems like an answer, but we have no idea how the logistics would work.

Today my friend Emily is here from Calgary with her two kids and husband who has meetings with coffee farmers all week for his roasterie, phil&Sebastian www. philsebastian.com , so tomorrow and I am going to meet with her and show her all the hot spots around town. Ha, after a month I guess I no longer qualify as a tourist.

I am excited for this new chapter and to see Pastor Jorge and his wife Maritza and their daughter Jackie and her husband Oscar. I am very excited to get connected with the community of people that we will be working with to build houses for and start building relationships.

I am excited to learn how to cook Central American style and give it a go. I might need some prayer on this as well!!

I am excited to have teams and visitors come down to see exactly why we are going to El Salvador. Soon we will send out some information about what you need to know to come down and we will start a calendar with dates of upcoming visits.

Carie

2 comments:

  1. May God give you the peace to know He's already got it all figured out where you are going to live in El Salvador. Carrying each of you in our hearts and upholding you in our prayers. Sharon & Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Berstad's! What an adventure!! I was just wondering if you had an address or e-mail address that you could send to me? gregandmarni@gmail.com. You are in our prayers!
    Greg & Marni

    ReplyDelete